Ecuador Honeymoon Guide: Ideas, Tips, Hotels & Destinations
Intertwine your honeymoon with moments of adventure and relaxation by escaping to one of the most biodiverse countries in South America, Ecuador. Together you can explore snow-capped volcanoes, Amazon rainforests, and colonial cities. You can also relax along pristine beaches and soak in volcanic thermal baths. Ecuador has numerous opportunities to create honeymoon memories you’ll enjoy long after you return home.
Choose to stay in one city for the duration of your honeymoon or travel around the country to experience as much as possible. Book a Suite on an Amazon riverboat, stay at luxury boutique hotels, charming haciendas, or jungle lodges complete with infinity pools and spectacular views. Enjoy local cuisine and the top international fare in various restaurants throughout the country.
To help you plan, below you’ll find honeymoon ideas, tips, hotels, and destinations to add to your Ecuador honeymoon itinerary.
Ecuadorian Amazon Rainforest
Start your new life together by exploring one of the most spectacular terrains in the world, the Ecuadorian Amazon rainforest. If you share the love of nature, this is one of the best destinations to spend your honeymoon. Admire lush forests and experience the indigenous culture up close. Discover the biodiversity by canoe or view the various wildlife from land, including colorful parrots, howling monkeys, and so much more.
Here are a few locations in the rainforest to visit:
Rainbow At Yasuni Natural Reserve
- Yasuni National Park and Biosphere Reserve: Explore the most bio-diverse place on the planet at this national park in the Ecuadorian Amazon.
- AmaZOOnico: Visit this animal rescue center where you can safely observe wildlife up-close, including spider monkeys, tapirs, caimans, macaws, and toucans.
Rainforest lodges are perfect for spending part, if not all, of your honeymoon. Many of these offer beautiful landscapes, lavish rooms, private balconies, romantic restaurants, relaxing patios, and spa facilities. Here are a few suggestions.
Romantic Dinner At Selva Lodge
- La Selva Lodge: Located in the Amazon Basin, this luxury jungle lodge offers 18 guest suites in cabins spread throughout the property. Enjoy a cozy dinner together in the main restaurant, with views of the Garzacocha lake right from your table.
- Hamadryade Lodge: Enjoy your privacy in one of this hotel’s spacious bungalows. Natural stone showers, Italian linens, and windows with expansive views greet you here each day. Visit the lodge’s massage hut before enjoying a three-course dinner by candlelight in the restaurant.
Andean Mountain Hideaway
Chances to combine romance and spectacular scenery, and even adventurous activities, abound in the Andean highlands. Make this your own unique playground by reveling in the view of snow-topped volcanoes, stunning waterfalls, and beautiful green vistas.
You can both do as much or as little as you like here and still experience the best it has to offer. Here are a few ideas and locations to add to your honeymoon itinerary.
Beautiful Lagoo Located In Papallacta
- Papallacta: Enjoy soaking in the hot springs of Papallacta, located an hour or so away from the capital city of Quito. The thermal pools are the result of the wealth of volcanoes in the country. You can also indulge yourself with a massage or full-body chocolate wrap in the spa.
Spectacular View Of The Cotopaxi Volcano
- Cotopaxi Volcano National Park: Get a closer look at one of the highest active volcanoes in the world by taking a day hike to the base camp of Cotopaxi. You can also take the Tren de los Volcaos railway from Quito to the base camp.
Pilón Del Diablo
- Baños: Although a more touristy town, Baños is worth a visit. Located on volcanic slopes, it is considered the gateway to the Ecuadorian rainforest. Participate in fun outdoor activities, such as cycling or horseback riding, or sit back, relax, and enjoy the scenery.
- Otavalo: To experience the largest indigenous arts and crafts market in Ecuador, a visit to Otavalo is a must. You can find numerous items here to take home as reminders of your honeymoon, including hand-woven blankets, shawls, and rugs. You’ll also find wood carvings and various other unique artworks.
This region of Ecuador offers many choices of where to stay during your honeymoon, including these romantic haciendas.
Hacienda San Agustin de Callo
- Hacienda San Agustin De Callo (Cotopaxi): With a vast history as an Inca fortress and Augustinian monastery, this secluded boutique hotel provides spectacular views from all 11 of its rooms.
Hacienda Hato Verde, is located in the slopes of the Cotopaxi Volcano, a working traditional Spanish Hacienda that offers personalized service to a limited number of guests
- Hacienda Hato Verde (Cotopaxi): Enjoy the coziness of this boutique hotel located near the Cotopaxi Volcano. Enjoy a glass of wine in the hotel garden before trying Ecuadorian dishes in its restaurant.
Casa Hacienda Zuleta
- Hacienda Zuleta (Otavalo): Spend your honeymoon in this 17th-century manor and experience an authentic Ecuadorian way of life.
Unique Ecuadorian Cities
Experience the unique colonial cities of Quito and Cuenca, or enjoy the vibrant coastal city of Guayaquil. Whatever you’re looking for in an Ecuador honeymoon, you’re bound to find it in one of its fascinating cities.
Plaza Grande In Quito Downtown
Panoramic View Of The City Of Cuenca And The Valley
- Cuenca: Another UNESCO World Heritage Site, Cuenca is a charming colonial city full of romance. Wind your way through cobbled streets to view historic buildings, quaint plazas, and more.
- Guayaquil: Choose Guayaquil on the coast for an exciting foray into Ecuadorian culture intertwined with international offerings. This lively town offers a vibrant nightlife and colorful markets to explore.
You’ll find various accommodations in these cities, and some of the best are luxury boutique hotels. Here are a few of your options.
ILLA Experience Hotel In Quito
- ILLA Experience Hotel (Quito): This small boutique hotel features only ten rooms on three levels. A small spa, whirlpool tub, and a lush pocket garden area for your enjoyment, as is the hotel’s restaurant and wine cellar.
Exterior Of The Cruz Del Vado Hotel In Cuenca
- Cruz del Vado (Cuenca): Situated on the city center’s edge, this luxury boutique hotel offers four luxury suites with private balconies and jacuzzies, as well as other rooms. The third-floor restaurant provides exquisite views of the city.
Exterior Of Hotel Del Parque In Guayaquil
- Hotel del Parque (Guayaquil): Enjoy your honeymoon in this 5-star historic hotel. Stay in one of its 44 charming rooms or suites, all decorated in elegant décor.
Rarely can you experience such pristine beaches, unique wildlife, and cultural experiences as those found on the Galápagos Islands. Located off the coast of Ecuador, these islands are one of the last of their kind, making them a great getaway location to spend your honeymoon.
With 837 miles of coastline, you’ll have plenty of space to enjoy here. Watch as sea lions frolic in the surf or admire the slow walks of the Giant Galápagos Tortoises. Anywhere you explore in the Galapagos islands will be relaxing or as active as you choose. A few highlights include:
Natural Pool In The Santa Cruz Island In Galapagos
- Isla Santa Cruz: The largest town on the archipelago is here on Santa Cruz Island. Enjoy a number of organized tours from here or relax on the beaches. You’ll have various restaurant and shopping offerings here as well.
Tourists on the trails at the top of Punta Pitt, Isalbela Island
- Isla Isabela: The largest island, Isabela, is a volcanic island with hiking opportunities, exceptional wildlife viewing, and nice hotels and restaurants.
Panoramic View Of Old Boats In San Cristobal Island, Galapagos
- San Cristobal Island: Designated as the administrative capital of the islands, San Cristobal Island provides enough sightseeing options to keep you busy day and night.
Luxury accommodations on the Galapagos islands are limited, but here are a few to consider.
Pool Of The Finch Bay Hotel In Galapagos
- Finch Bay Hotel: Set on Santa Cruz Island, Finch Bay is a luxury beachfront hotel offers suites with private balconies or rooms with shared patios. Enjoy services at the on-site spa, snorkel on the beach outside your room, and enjoy fresh local dishes at its restaurant.
Exterior Of The Isamar Hotel
- Isamar Boutique: Enjoy this small, uncrowded luxury boutique hotel close to shops and cafés on the island of Isabela. Stroll to various nature locales, including a flamingo lagoon.
- Galápagos Sunset: Nestled in the heart of Puerto Baquerizo Moreno on San Cristobal Island, enjoy staying in a luxury room with a private balcony. You’ll be within walking distance of downtown cafés and shops.
You want your honeymoon to be memorable, even unique to anything else you’ve ever experienced before. Spending it touring Ecuador provides numerous opportunities to immerse yourself in culture, nature, and the romance of it all. What else could you ask for in a perfect honeymoon getaway?