Go on an exploration of Brazil's mighty Solimoes River from Manaus, while aboard the brand new La Jangada catamaran river vessel.
This 12-day cruise is for those seeking an extended adventure rich with wildlife and things to see in the world's most pristine rainforest.
The itinerary below is dependent on the river water level, weather conditions, wildlife behavior, and accessibility to locations, so may vary.
- Meeting point at the Tropical Hotel or welcome to Manaus airport by your English speaking guides.
- Boarding the M/S La Jangada.
- Amazonian fruit cocktail, crew presentation, safety instructions and information on life on board. Installation in the cabins.
- Visit of the city: the Opera House, the municipal market Adolpho Lisboa and its hall "art nouveau", the hectic life on the banks of the Rio Negro, the colorful atmosphere of the port between the tropical fruits, the medicinal plants and the carriers, which bring the fish catch of the day to the stalls.
- Lunch on board.
- Navigation to the Cove do Tupe. At dusk, motorboat trip to meet a group of Indians Dessano and Tukano of a ritual presentation, a first introduction to the diversity of Amazonian peoples.
- Dinner on board and navigation on the Rio Negro to the village of Novo Airao, gateway to the Anavilhanas Archipelago.
Novo Airão / Anavilhanas Islands / Madada Caves
- Breakfast and departure by motor boat for islands exploration and surrounding lakes. In the morning, at sunrise, it's time to fly birds. Macaws, Snowy Egrets or Blue Egrets, Fish Eagles.
- Landing in the company of native guides for a trek in the forest to the caves of Madada. After an hour's walk you will reach this mysterious place that served as a refuge for the indigenous Tukanos. Relief drawings carved on rocks by ancient tribes date back more than 3000 years.
- Stop in a Tukano village for a encounter and a discovery of the daily life and traditions of this people living on the banks of the Rio Negro.
- Return to the M/S La Jangada at the end of the morning and swim for those who want to experience the soft waters of Rio Negro.
- Lunch on board and navigation to Velho Airao and the mouth of the Jau River, at the entrance to the Jaú National Park.
- It's time to meet your guides at the lounge bar to evoke the indigenous tribes of Rio Negro, their history, their social organization, their way of life, their crafts while enjoying a cocktail of fruits. In the late afternoon, motorboat expedition to observe the wildlife and scenic beauty at sunset.
- Dinner on board or barbecue on a sandbar, weather permitting. For part of the night, sail to the mouth of the Jaú River, in the heart of Jaú National Park.
Jaú National Park
- At sunrise, the M/S Jangada navigates to the base of the ICMBio (antenna of the Ministry of the Environment) to obtain permits to enter the sanctuary of biodiversity. Early morning breakfast on board and navigation on the river Jau. Departure by motorboat in the company of native guides to penetrate the "igarapés", small streams or submerged areas to observe the fauna and flora. Many aquatic mammals are present in this protected area like many species of birds and monkeys. In the high water season, from January to May, motorboat expeditions to admire the waterfalls of the Gato River.
- In the late morning, return to M/S La Jangada and sail to the town of Moura, located a little further upstream after the mouth of the Unini River.
- Lunch on board, idleness and observation of the Landscapes.
- In the middle of the afternoon, exit by motorboat for a visit of the city of Moura. Later on the return, observation of the fauna and flora at dusk in the surrounding lakes.
- Dinner on board.
- After dinner, out in canoes with native guides to observe the caimans and nocturnal animals. In the noisy silence of the Amazon night some shivers and emotions in perspective.
- Night at anchor or along a sandbank in the dry season (June to December).
The Jauaperi River The Wild Amazonia’ Gate
- Early morning sailing up the river Jauaperi, a tributary of Rio Negro with clear waters to the reserve of Xixuau. These first hours at dawn are conducive to the observation of the banks from the bridges of M/S La Jangada.
- Breakfast on board and first outing by motorboat for a recognition of the banks, the observation of fauna and flora.
- Return on board and continuation of the navigation until the mouth of the igarape do Mateu. Landing to visit the village and discover the Alternative Community School, teaching the study of the environment and native traditions and culture.
- Lunch on board and relax while the boat continues to go up the Jauaperi River towards the Xixuaú Reserve.
- In the middle of the afternoon, stop in a small village caboclo for a meeting with the inhabitants, the discovery of day life and crafts of a very beautiful quality.
- At the end of the day arrived at the port of the village of Xixuau, on the edge of the reserve.
- Landing to meet the village leaders and prepare for the next day.
- Night at anchor in the heart of the Amazonian Rain Forest.
Xixuau Reserve, A Sanctuary Of Biodiversity
- At sunrise, a short getaway to be scared with caymans settled peacefully on the bank near the village.
- Return to the boat for breakfast.
- Departure by pirogue (2 people + native guide) for an exploration in the lakes and under the canopy of the submerged forest, in search of aquatic mammals and birds. It will undoubtedly be possible to observe otters, dolphins, monkeys and many birds.
- Return in the late morning for lunch aboard the M/S La Jangada.
- In the afternoon, trek in the primary forest to see the Samaumas, the largest trees in the Amazon rainforest. New navigation by canoe to try fishing.
- Dinner on board and night out to observe the caimans and nocturnal animals. Beautiful emotions in perspective.
- Possibility when the water is high to organize a camp in the forest for volunteers in a privileged place for the animals observation. We arrive on site by canoe, camp installation and night in hammocks. Campfire, myths and legends of the Amazon and at dawn, concert of the screaming monkeys guaranteed.
- Breakfast on board.
- Disembarkation and departure by dugout or on foot according to the season to sneak once again between giant tree trunks and high lianas for furtive encounters with the animals of the reserve.
- Meeting with the native guides and the village officials for a commemoration of our visit, presentation of the crafts and souvenir photo.
- In the late morning, start navigation back to Novo Airao along the opposite bank of Rio Negro.
- Lunch on board.
- Observation of the banks from the third bridge, relaxation on a deck chair, fruit juice in the lounge bar, time passes slowly to the rhythm of navigation. Landscapes follow one another, an enchantment for the eyes and at sunset when the first stars appear, it's all the mystery of the Amazon rainforest that envelops you.
- Dinner on board.
- Screening of the film Fitzcaraldo on the third bridge, as another invitation to travel.
Novo Airão / Manaus
- From sunrise, it's all the magic of the Amazon rainforest that is revealed to you. The reflections of the trees and the sky in the water, the flight of birds we never get tired of, the daily life and its lots of canoes, small boats, fishermen to have the full view until the end travel.
- Around 8 am, arrival at Novo Airão. Landing for a dip with the pink dolphins. Discovery of the small town and local crafts.
- In Manaus, meeting at the Tropical Hotel with people doing the 6-day cruise on the Amazon, transfer to Novo Airao by speed boat with guide to the boarding point on M/S La Jangada. (3 h)
- 11 am, disembarkation of the people having made the cruise of 7 days and transfer by speedboat towards Manaus. Disembarkation in front of the hotel Tropical, reception by French-speaking guide and assistance with transfers to hotel and airport.
- Lunch on board and sailing to the meeting of the waters between the Solimões River (the Amazon) and the Rio Negro, a singular spectacle, the waters of Solimões yellow in color, laden with alluvium and those of Rio Negro dark, draw on miles an ocher and black lace before melting into the mighty Amazon River. (5h).
- Welcome cocktail at the lounge with the cruise director and guide, presentation of the cruise program and answers to participants' questions.
- Dinner on board, sailing and overnight at the mouth of the Purus River to the island of Sao Tome, near the small town of Anama (10am).
Mouth Of Rio Purus / Village Do Pão
- Early in the morning, at sunrise, expedition with motor boats to observe the birds on the lakes and “ Furos" (small canals joining the lakes and the main river) a little upstream of the Rio Purus. It's flight time for parrots, ibises, herons, white or blue egrets, the time of the Jacanas' concert, gracious little waterhens and the majestic flight of eagles (2 hrs).
- Before leaving the ship, you will put in the water, helped by the sailors, lines of funds to try to fish some big catfish and improve the menu of the board.
- Meeting with the inhabitants of the village of Pao. They live from fishing giant cat fish, Surubim, Pirarara, large siluriformes, up to for meters in length. Observation of this ancestral fishing and the raising of the nets. Visit of the village.
- In the late morning, return to M/S La Jangada and up the fishing lines hoping for some good surprises.
- Navigation to the city of Codajas (4h). Lunch on board.
- Relaxing during the navigation and watching the banks always very eventful, colorful and full of surprises: houses floating or on stilts, fishing scenes hawk, women and children washing clothes, loading boats with the products of culture ... And also the wild life.
- In the late afternoon, take a fast boat trip to explore the surrounding islands and lakes. Observation of the daily life of local residents, fauna and flora. The pink dolphins will undoubtedly be at the “rendez vous”.
- Before dinner, over a drink in the bar, talk with the guides about the highlights and the meetings of the day. Presentation of the program of the following day.
- Dinner on board.
- For those who want a little more adventure, night expedition in motor boats to observe the nightlife. Meet the owls, the slots, the bright-eyed caimans like diamonds and maybe with some hunting serpents and tarantulas weaving their trap (1h30).
- Night at anchor, in a cove close to Codajas.
Codajas City / Lago Of Coari
- Breakfast on board and departure by motorboat. Landing on the shore of one of the lakes. Observation of fauna and flora. During the return to the city of Codajas, stop at an açai producer at the Fazenda Pretinho. Presentation of açai, these magic berries, fruits of a palm tree, rich in vitamin C and antioxidant. Visit the town of Codajas, discover the market, local crafts and the intense activity of a small Amazonian city.
- Lunch on board.
- After lunch, in the middle of the afternoon, departure to observe the fauna and flora on the Munguba lake with native guides. In search of "capivaras", otters and caimans, it will be time to learn how to use nets for net “hawk” fishing.
- Late afternoon return on board for a well deserved relaxation. You can use the fitness place for some physical exercices.
- Meeting at the lounge bar for an aperitif in the colors of the sunset. Conversation with guides on strengths and encounters of the day. Presentation of tomorrow's program.
- Dinner on board and sailing to Coari lake (8 hours).
Coari / Lago Of Coari / Japura River
- Breakfast on board and departure with motor boat on the Japura River to "Fazenda do Padre". On this territory grow huge walnut from Brazil whose fruits are harvested from January to June. A difficult job in a wilderness where crossing a jaguar is not a utopia.
- Treck in the primary forest in the company of native guides and gatherers of nuts, who will share their knowledge and traditions (2 hours).
- Late in the morning return to the M/S La Jangada and lunch on board.
- Mid-afternoon discovery of the city of Coari. It is located on the Solimões River between the Mamiá lake and the Coari lake. Its history is related to the Indians Catuxy, Jurimauas, Past, Irijus, Jumas, Purus, Solimões, Uaiupis, Uamanis and Uaupés. The city is known for its production of Brazil nuts. The Festival Folkloric agitates Coari during the months preceding the festival which takes place in June. The "caipiras" nights shake the schools and the city in general.
- After this visit, departure with motor boats to observe the fauna and flora of Coari lake, varzea and submerged forest areas where birds, caimans, dolphins can be observed without forgetting the daily life of the inhabitants of the river living mainly of fishing and culture.
- At sunset, meet at the lounge bar for an aperitif. Conversation with the guides on the highlights of the day.
- To better learn about local traditions, presentation of folk dances.
- Dinner on board
- Navigation to Tefé (11 h).
Tefé / Mamiraua Lake Mouth
- Sunrise on Lake Mamiraua, it's the pink hour, when all the trees of the forest snorts of the humidity of the night, the flight of the birds, often the animated ballet of the pink dolphins at the looking for their morning meal.
- Breakfast on board and departure by fast canoe for an observation of the fauna and landscapes. It's a paradise for birds and especially for thousands of cormorants leaving their nocturnal homes to fly to the lakes and rivers where they feed during the day, an incredible sight. Walking in the forest or expedition by canoe under the canopy, land of "varzea", covered with water six months of the year, a fascinating ecosystem to discover with your native guides of the reserve.
- Meeting with the scientists at the Mamiraua ecological station, near the Uacari Lodge and observation of the big black caiman.
- Lunch on board.
- In the afternoon, visit the Mamiraua 1 community, a conference of one of the leaders of the reserve on sustainable development and the protection of fauna and flora in the reserve. After the visit, trek to explore the nearby lakes and primary forest in search of the Uacari monkey.
- At dusk, departure by canoe to observe the great caimans very present in this area of animal protection.
- Dinner on board and overnight on Lake Mamiraua.
- Early in the morning, sail to the city of Tefé.
- Observation of the shores from your cabin or the third bridge: houses on stilts, nests in the shape of a woven pocket where live the cassic weavers, these birds with yellow and black plumage, noisy flights of green parakeets, bright colored canoes moving from one village to another, children playing in the water at bath time. This is a real adventure movie that takes place on a giant screen on each side of your boat.
- Breakfast on board and preparation of suitcases for the landing at Tefé.
- In the early morning, disembarkation and transfer in air-conditioned vehicles to Tefé airport, accompanied by your French speaking guides. Boarding assistance.
- 09h 50 AZUL flight to Manaus.
- Reception by French guide in Manaus and end of our services.
- Please note that all cruise itineraries are subject to change due to seasonal weather conditions (and resultant variations in river and tributary water levels) affecting accessibility to locations. Thus navigation routes, times and excursions may need to be modified at the cruise captain’s discretion.
- Passengers should also be aware that animal sightings cannot be guaranteed due to the unpredictability of wildlife behavior.