Go on an exploration of Brazil's mighty Solimoes River from Manaus, while aboard the brand new La Jangada catamaran river vessel.
This 13-day cruise is for those seeking an extended adventure rich with wildlife and things to see in the world's most pristine rainforest.
The itinerary below is dependent on the river water level, weather conditions, wildlife behavior, and accessibility to locations, so may vary.
Manaus / Water Meeting / Lago Do Limão
- Arrival in Manaus, reception at the airport, transfer to the boarding point on the boat Jangada anchored near the port of the hotel Tropical.
- Amazonian fruit cocktail, crew presentation, safety instructions and information on life on board. Installation in the cabins.
- Depending on the time of arrival, City Tour to know the Opera of Manaus, the port and the market, the bustling life of the city installed on the banks of the Rio Negro.
- At the beginning of the afternoon, sailing towards the meeting of the waters, between the river Solimões (Rio Amazonas) and Rio Negro, spectacle in itself, the waters of Solimões of yellow color, loaded with alluvium and those of Rio Negro dark, curling and encircling for miles drawing an ocher and black lace before melting into the mighty Amazon River. Navigation against the current on the Rio Solimoes towards the mouth of the lake "do Limão".
- In the late afternoon, the ship drops anchor on the Limao lake for a first contact with the lush nature of the Amazon Rainforest. Outing by motor canoes for a discovery of fauna and flora. Many birds to watch at sunset and the magnificent Vitoria Regiae, giant aquatic plants up to 2.50 m in diameter(1h30).
- Back on board and meeting at the lounge bar with the cruise director and guide for a welcome cocktail, presentation of the cruise program and replies to participants' questions.
- Dinner on board and overnight sailing to the mouth of the Purus River, Sao Tome Island, near the small town of Anama (10h).
Mouth Of Rio Purus / Village Do Pão
- Early in the morning, at sunrise, expedition with motor boats to observe the birds on the lakes and “ Furos" (small canals joining the lakes and the main river) a little upstream of the Rio Purus. It's flight time for parrots, ibises, herons, white or blue egrets, the time of the Jacanas' concert, gracious little waterhens and the majestic flight of eagles (2 hrs).
- Before leaving the ship, you will put in the water, helped by the sailors, lines of funds to try to fish some big catfish and improve the menu of the board.
- Meeting with the inhabitants of the village of Pao. They live from fishing giant cat fish, Surubim, Pirarara ... large siluriformes, up to for meters in length. Observation of this ancestral fishing and the raising of the nets. Visit of the village.
- In the late morning, return to M/S La Jangada and up the fishing lines hoping for some good surprises.
- Navigation to the city of Codajas (4h). Lunch on board
- Relaxing during the navigation and watching the banks always very eventful, colorful and full of surprises: houses floating or on stilts, fishing scenes hawk, women and children washing clothes, loading boats with the products of culture ... And also the wild life.
- In the late afternoon, take a fast boat trip to explore the surrounding islands and lakes. Observation of the daily life of local residents, fauna and flora. The pink dolphins will undoubtedly be at the “rendez vous”.
- Before dinner, over a drink in the bar, talk with the guides about the highlights and the meetings of the day. Presentation of the program of the following day.
- Dinner on board and night at anchor, in a cove close to Codajas.
- For those who want a little more adventure, night expedition in motor boats to observe the nightlife. Meet the bright-eyed caimans like diamonds and maybe with some hunting serpents and tarântulas weaving their trap (1h30).
Codajas City / Lago Of Coari
- Breakfast on board and departure by motorboat. Landing on the shore of one of the lakes. Observation of fauna and flora. During the return to the city of Codajas, stop at an açai producer at the Fazenda Pretinho. Presentation of açai, these magic berries, fruits of a palm tree, rich in vitamin C and antioxidant. Visit the town of Codajas, discover the market, local crafts and the intense activity of a small Amazonian city.
- Lunch on board
- After lunch, in the middle of the afternoon, departure to observe the fauna and flora on the Munguba lake with native guides. In search of "capivaras", otters and caimans, it will be time to learn how to use nets for net “hawk” fishing.
- Late afternoon return on board for a well deserved relaxation. You can use the fitness place for some physical exercices.
- Meeting at the lounge bar for an aperitif in the colors of the sunset. Conversation with guides on strengths and encounters of the day. Presentation of tomorrow's program.
- Dinner on board and sailing to Coari lake (8 hours).
Coari / Lago Of Coari / Japura River
- Breakfast on board and departure with motor boat on the Japura River to "Fazenda do Padre". On this territory grow huge walnut from Brazil whose fruits are harvested from January to June. A difficult job in a wilderness where crossing a jaguar is not a utopia.
- Treck in the primary forest in the company of native guides and gatherers of nuts, who will share their knowledge and traditions (2 hours).
- Late in the morning return to the M/S La Jangada and lunch on board.
- Mid-afternoon discovery of the city of Coari. It is located on the Solimões River between the Mamiá lake and the Coari lake. Its history is related to the Indians Catuxy, Jurimauas, Past, Irijus, Jumas, Purus, Solimões, Uaiupis, Uamanis and Uaupés. The city is known for its production of Brazil nuts. The Festival Folkloric agitates Coari during the months preceding the festival which takes place in June. The "caipiras" nights shake the schools and the city in general.
- After this visit, departure with motor boats to observe the fauna and flora of Coari lake, varzea and submerged forest areas where birds, caimans, dolphins can be observed without forgetting the daily life of the inhabitants of the river living mainly of fishing and culture.
- At sunset, meet at the lounge bar for an aperitif. Conversation with the guides on the highlights of the day.
- To better learn about local traditions, presentation of folk dances.
- Dinner on board.
- Navigation to Tefé (11 h).
Tefé / Boca Do Mamiraua Lake
- Breakfast on board early in the morning and disembarkation by motor canoes in the village of the Salesian Mission, which is practically the birthplace of Tefé. You will be able to discover the pond of "Vitoria Regiae", a place very appreciated for its natural beauty, of the top of the hill where the monastery was built, the view on the Tefé river is impregnable". This will be an opportunity to better understand the influence of Jesuits and Salesians in this region.
- In the middle of the morning, return on board.
- Continue navigation to the Mamiraua reserve. Observation of fauna and flora on the banks from the third bridge. Parrots, toucans, fish eagles, snowy egrets, dolphins and monkeys should be waiting for you.
- Outing by motor canoes to reach the starting point of a walk or expeditions by canoe under the submerged forest, territory of "varzea", a land covered with water six months of the year, a fascinating ecosystem to discover in the company of native guides of the region.
- Lunch on board.
- In the afternoon, visit the community Mamiraua 1, conference by one of the leader of the reserve on the sustainable development and protection of fauna and flora in the reserve. After the visit, outing for a treck to explore nearby lakes and primary forest in search of the Uacari monkey.
- At dusk, take a pirogue out to observe the great caimans that are very present in this animal protection zone.
- Dinner on board and night on Mamiraua Lake.
Reserve Mamiraua / Fonte Boa
- At sunrise, after breakfast, out in fast canoes for an observation of wildlife and landscapes at the time when the forest awakes. Birds paradise and in particular of thousands of cormorants leaving their nocturnal home to fly to the lakes and rivers where they feed during the day. An incredible show.
- Meeting with the researchers of the ecological station Mamiraua, near the Uacari Lodge, observation of the big black caimans.
- Back on board the M/S La Jangada.
- Beginning of the navigation, La Jangada leaves the moorings towards Fonte Boa (7h).
- Shoreline observation from your cabin or from the third bridge: the houses on stilts, the sock-shaped nests where the Japins live, birds with yellow and black plumage, the noisy flights of parrots, the hammock boats with bright colors that move from one community to another, children in canoes offering products from the land. It's a real adventure movie that takes place on a giant screen on either side of your boat.
- Lunch on board.
- At the lounge bar, lecture on the history of the Amazon and projection of a film illustrating these remarks (2h 30).
- In the late afternoon, arrival at Fonte Boa.
- Dinner on board.
- Night in Fonte Boa.
Fonte Boa City / Terra Nova Island
- Breakfast on board and departure by motorboat for a day of exploration and discovery in the company of native guides of the village of "Terra Nova". The inhabitants live from the Pirarucu sustainable fishery, "the Amazonian cod", up to 2.50 m long and weighing 150 kilos, this fish with powerful jaws and delicious flesh is exported throughout America. South.
- Walking in the forest to reach the lakes will allow you to observe the rich flora and fauna on this territory, in particular. With a bit of luck, you can see the red-faced Uacari monkey.
- You will also discover how cassava flour is prepared, a staple food for local populations and the sustainable use of wood.
- Fishing of a Pirarucu by the natives of the village and lunch in the forest to complete this great morning of exploration.
- In the middle of the afternoon, return on board for a well deserved relaxation.
- At the end of the day, discover the town of Fonte Boa. Back on the boat and sail to Jutai.
- Dinner on board.
- Navigation towards the city of Jutai (8 h).
Around Jutai City And Santo Antonio Do Iça City
- Early, at sunrise, breakfast and expedition with motor boats to discover the city of Jutai and its surroundings.
- Return to M/S La Jangada and navigation to Santo Antonio do Iça (11 h). Observation of the banks, fauna and flora, the great spectacle of nature. It's a privileged moment to discover the books of the boat library and the first art objects decorating the shared spaces without forgetting the life-size show taking place around you.
- Lunch on board.
- Conference at the lounge bar on Indigenous Ticunas, which mostly inhabit the territory crossed. Their history as well as that of colonization, the influence of the Jesuits Missionaries in this region.
- Late afternoon arrival and visit the city of Santo Antonio do Iça.
- Dinner on board and night in Santo Antonio do Ica.
Santo Antonio Do Iça
- Breakfast on board and departure by motor boats for the Ticuna village of Bethania on the river Iça. Exploration of crossed lakes and observation of fauna and flora. After a short walk in the forest accompanied by Indian guides, arrived on the clearing where the “maloca” is built, a community dwelling for rituals. Meeting with the cacique and Ticuna village officials.
- A privileged moment of exchange and discovery. Presentation of the "Moça Nova" ritual, this initiation ceremony is practiced in the form of a presentation dance to the pubescent girls community. These, painted in black and adorned with plumage and shells, symbols of fertility, are then framed by the women of the tribe and courted by men circling around them.
- Discovery of the traditions and culture of this people who despite the prohibitions of missionaries and assaults of all kinds against their territory struggle to preserve and affirm its ancestral culture.
- Lunch in the forest on the bank of the river Iça observing the surrounding nature and the surprises it reveals at any time of the day.
- Return by motorboat to the M/S La Jangada and boarding for a cruise to Vendaval, a Ticunas village, further upstream, not far from Colombia.
- Relaxation on board during the navigation, in front of the spectacle of the banks at the end of the day.
- Dinner on board and navigation to São Paulo de Olivença (8 h).
São Paulo Of Olivença / Village Of Vendaval
- Breakfast and departure by motorboat to discover the surrounding lakes and observe the flora and fauna. A good moment for trie to fish some piranhas.
- Visit of the city of Sao Paulo de Olivença, the always lively market early in the morning, the colorful stalls of the artisans.
- In the middle of the morning, return to the M/S Jangada and navigation towards the Ticunas village of Vendaval (5h).
- Lunch on board.
- The ship wets its anchors in front of the village of Vendaval on the left bank of the Solimões river. Landing and meeting with the Cacique (elected leader) and the village leaders. Presentation of the daily life, meeting with the inhabitants, discovery of the Ticunas hand craft.
- In the late afternoon, return to M/S Jangada.
- At the sunset sailing to Benjamin Constant and Javari River.
- Dinner on board.
- Towards two o'clock in the morning, arrival at Benjamin Constant, night at anchor in a cove of the Javari river.
Benjamin Constant / Islandia In Peru / Tabatinga
- Breakfast and departure by motorboat for a discovery of the city of Benjamin Constant and the Indigenous museum Maguta.
- Visit of the Museum. As a space stopped in time, a magical cave for ethnologist, drawings, photographs, everyday objects, blowguns and other bows and arrows tell you a little more about Ticunas culture. Purchase crafts for those who want it.
- Returning to the port, visit the market and alleys full of shops where objects seem to come from another era.
- Departure to Islandia in Peru but a few minutes from Brazil and Colombia. An incredible city on stilts where the streets are bridges of wood or cement to almost 10 meters from the ground.
- Return to M / S La Jangada and have lunch on board. During lunch, sail up the Rio Javari to a village of Indigenous Matis.
- Middle afternoon, exit in fast canoes for an exploration of shores and lakes. Observation of fauna and flora.
- Dinner on board.
- After dinner departure for a first meeting with the Matis. Under the protection of the "Maloca", conversation with a shaman about the rituals of “rape”, “ayawaska” or “kambo” that allow to join the spirits of the ancestors, on the symbol of the jaguar. This great predator living in the heart of the Amazon rainforest symbolizes the power of the shaman that allows him to travel in different strata of the universe. The power of shamans goes through a substance called "sho" and that has positive and negative aspects. It is transmitted during rituals. "Sho" can be sent to harm an enemy through the small darts of the blowgun.
- Back on board M/S Jangada and night at anchor in a cove of the Javari river.
Indigenous Matis / Tabatinga / Leticia
- Breakfast at sunrise to enjoy this last day of discovery of the Amazon. This morning, meeting with the Matis natives (the jaguar men) to follow them during a forest hunt. Armed with their long blowgun whose arrows are poisoned with curare, they will be our guides and will allow us to better understand their daily life and their tradition. In their company, you will learn to move silently, to observe monkeys, birds and other animals, to recognize the leaves, the barks, the healing roots. An initiatory journey to share all the richness of the fauna and flora of the Amazon.
- Presentation of the beautiful crafts of the Matis.
- In the late morning, return to M / S Jangada.
- Lunch on board.
- Navigation to Tabatinga / Leticia.
- In the late afternoon, visit the Colombian city of Leticia with your guides. The city is full of charm, the ethnographic museum is worth seeing as well as the native craft shops. At sunset, the city park is filled with thousands of parrots, an incredible concert covering even the sound of tuk touk engines.
- Dinner on board.
- Last meeting in the lounge bar, exchanges with the guides and the director of the cruise on the 12 days spent aboard the M / S La Jangada.
- Night at anchor in front cof Leticia in a cove of Solimões.
Tabatinga / Leticia
- Breakfast on board
- Disembarkation in Leticia according to flight schedules and transfert to the Tabatinga airport or Leticia Airport. End of the cruise.
- Please note that all cruise itineraries are subject to change due to seasonal weather conditions (and resultant variations in river and tributary water levels) affecting accessibility to locations. Thus navigation routes, times and excursions may need to be modified at the cruise captain’s discretion.
- Passengers should also be aware that animal sightings cannot be guaranteed due to the unpredictability of wildlife behavior.