This action-packed Iguazu Falls and Patagonia family tour takes place in Argentina, with quick forays into Chile and Brazil. It includes a city tour of Buenos Aires, whale watching, wildlife spotting, glacier trekking, hiking in the Torres del Paine National Park, a two-day exploration of the mighty Iguazú Falls, and two days in the heart of the rainforest beside the Upper Iguazu River.
Your journey through Patagonia and the Iguazu Falls begins in Buenos Aires with a city tour designed especially for families. Take a bus or subway to the remarkable San Telmo neighborhood where you will visit the Comic Strip Walk, which features sculptures of some of the country’s most loved comic strip characters.
In La Boca, with its amazing street art, brightly painted houses and tango dancers performing in the streets, walk through Caminito, where you’ll find street vendors, live music, and stalls selling trinkets.
Whale Watching at Peninsula Valdes
Fly to Trelew, and drive through the dry, desert-like scrubland of the Patagonian plains to the remote Peninsula Valdes National Reserve, which is an exceptional place to observe an extraordinary variety of marine mammals. Most travelers choose to embark upon a whale-watching boat trip in a Zodiac, from which you’ll have an up-close and personal view of these enormous but friendly creatures. Keep an eye out for sea lions, cormorants, dolphins and a diverse variety of birds.
Perito Moreno Glacier
Your next destination is the town of El Calafate, where you can walk through the Laguna Nimez Nature Reserve along a beautiful circuit taking you through shrublands and wetlands down to the lake’s edge.
Visit Los Glaciares National Park on a full-day group tour. Marvel at the mighty 200-foot-tall Perito Moreno Glacier and watch huge chunks of ice calve off and collapse into the waters of the lake below. Hop on a boat to cross the Rico Branch, cruising past the huge glacier, followed by the experience of a lifetime, a two-hour trek on top of the glacier with an expert guide.
Torres del Paine National Park, Chile
Your Patagonia expedition continues with a road trip into Chile to Torres del Paine National Park, which is characterized by rushing rivers, ancient forests and glaciers, jagged peaks, freezing glacial lakes, waterfalls and wild windswept scrublands. The long and short hiking trails here are without a doubt the most famous in Patagonia.
Head back into Argentina’s region of Patagonia for an afternoon and a night in El Calafate before flying to Iguazu, where you’ll spend the next two days marveling at the mighty Iguazú Falls.
Brazil can lay claim to about 20 percent of the falls, and Argentina to the other 80 percent. This means that you get a bigger picture view of the falls from the Brazilian side, looking towards Argentina, but in Argentina you get closer to the falls and there is a larger area to explore. Both sides are incredible, and on this trip, you will get to spend a full day exploring each side. Hear the falls resonating through the rainforest and revel in the spectacle.
Take a bus trip through the Misiones countryside to Yacutinga Eco-Lodge in the heart of the rainforest. Head out onto the Upper Iguazu River in a kayak and spend the morning paddling through the verdant waterways of the jungle. You’ll see all sorts of wildlife, such as monkeys, snakes, sloths, and tropical birds. Later, join the guided twilight nature walk to see the rainforest’s nocturnal wildlife. The next day, fly back to Buenos Aires for your final night.
Perfect for adventure-seeking families with kids over 10, this 16-day sample itinerary allows plenty of time for exploration at your own pace, including private car rental. All of the featured excursions, activities, and accommodations can be tailored in accordance with your personal wishes.